Starting from September 2009, Huamei began cooperation with a German governmentalorganization to offer a German language course to students in Grade 4, 5 and 7.The Huamei primary section then became the first primary school which providesGerman language courses in the circle of DSD membership schools. It is also thefirst German language certificate (DSD) program implemented in schools of Guangzhou city. Then in2010, the program extended to Grade 6 and 8. In the school year of 2014-2015, Huameihad students continuing learning German in Grade 9. Thus, Huamei now are havingGerman language students through Grades 4 to 9.
With joint efforts of the school, the German governmental organizationand the German teachers from Germanyand China,the past five years witnessed success in terms of the students’ great interestin and good academic performance in the German course.
1. Enablestudents to learn a second foreign language, master different levels of listening,speaking, reading and writing skills, and eventually achieve DSD I (with thelanguage level of B1) or II (level C1) certificate.
2. Exposestudents to German culture and further develop their cross-culturalunderstanding and communication skills.
l Candidates Requirement and Class Setup
In principle, the students above Grade 4who perform well in the English language course are qualified to apply for thisprogram. Each grade has two classes in primary school and one/two in the middleschool, with class size of 25 inprimary section and 30 in themiddle school.
Starting from the Fall of 2013, onespecialized German Class was set up in Grade 4 to better support the studentsto learn effectively and consistently, and achieve the final objectives of theprogram in the end.
l Time Allocation
For primary school, there are four teachinghours per week for specialized classes of Grade 4 & 5, and three for Grade 6;while three for other elective classes.
l Teaching and Quality Assurance
1. The German course is delivered by qualifiedteachers from both Germanyand China,with the aid from a German intern if available.
2. On-goingsupervision is conducted by a German language consultant assigned by the Germangovernment.
3. Thesupervisor from Germanyorganized workshops and seminars to promote the German teachers qualification.